At St. John the Divine we are striving to be an inclusive church community. In ministering to those among us who have special needs, our goal is to recognize and serve each person as a unique individual, and to aid them in their full participation in the life of the church according to their own desires and those of their family.
This participation and support looks different for each student we serve, but here are some ways it can look:
- A classroom taught by a certified special educator and volunteers offering developmentally appropriate play materials and a group prayer time that teaches the elements of prayer and the liturgy.
- A buddy support system providing 1:1 or 2:1 support in the general children and youth Sunday school offerings and/or in our worship services
- Modified, individualized materials to enhance participation in worship or Sunday school
- Special training for nursery staff, youth team or Sunday school teachers to pave the way for successful inclusion
- A check in for support if and when the need arises
If you are interested in the Wonder-Fully Made program for your friend or family member please firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more information and to set up a time to talk about the unique person you have in mind.