Each person should give what he has decided in his heart ... God loves a cheerful giver. - 2 Corinthians 9:7
What is a pledge?
It is simply a heart-felt, documented financial commitment to support our remarkable ministries in the year ahead.
Considering your pledge
What to consider as you determine your pledge:
- Pray. Give it to God. We are members of St. John the Divine because of our love and commitment to Christ and the Christian life. Ask for God’s help to guide you.
- Your life’s blessings. Your pledge should be given in a sense of gratitude and joy for all we have received in our lives.
- Why is St. John the Divine special to you? Is it the liturgy, our service to others in the community and the world, our lifelong Christian education, the music, or just the pure joy of our fellowship?
- Why is St. John the Divine not another “charity”? We all give to worthy causes and trust them to do good things. At St. John the Divine, we know all the great things we do are in God’s name. Your pledge to St. John the Divine is an affirmation of faith and your commitment to ensure the vitality of our parish, just as we have done since 1940.
- Challenge yourself. In the end, pledging is about letting go of our agenda so that we can say yes to God’s agenda for us.
- Every pledge matters. Some people thing that St. John the Divine is funded primarily by a few very generous members of the parish. This is NOT the case – and for that we are blessed. Since every pledge matter, your pledge matters.
Why not simply give as I can through the collection plate?
Your pledge reinforces the importance of God and St. John the Divine in your life. And our pledges provide the vestry with an estimate of expected income essential to the preparation of our annual budget. St. John the Divine simply cannot operate and thrive without a reasonable estimate of financial resources.
How much should I pledge?
The actual amount, of course, is entirely a personal decision. But, it should be grounded in your faith, love, and commitment to God’s work through St. John the Divine. Your pledge should not be an afterthought or casual decision. It requires reflection, prayer and priority. Proverbs 3:9 says it best “Honor the Lord with your wealth and the first fruits of all you produce.”
Is my pledge confidential?
Yes. The actual amounts of individual pledges are available to only St. John the Divine staff who are essential to processing your pledge. These staff are held to the highest standards of confidentiality.
How can I pay my pledge?
There are several different ways to honor your pledge:
- Make regular payments by check using the envelopes provided to all who request them.
- Use your bank’s automatic draft system and set up regular weekly, monthly or other periodic payments directly to the church.
- Use the secure electronic payment option here. Please note, St. John the Divine accepts Visa and Mastercard only. We cannot process your gift with American Express.
- Use appreciated stocks or IRA payouts to pay your pledge. If you are 70 ½ years of age, you do not have to report your IRA payouts as taxable income on your federal income tax return. In either case, please alert the director of generosity at email@example.com to ensure that your pledge payment is properly credited.
What if my situation changes and I cannot fulfill my pledge?
We understand that life’s circumstances do change, often unexpectedly. In this case, please alert the director of generosity at 713.354.2218 or firstname.lastname@example.org so that our records can be amended as needed.