Children in grades 2 - 3 are invited to participate in preparation for communion classes. This series was developed out of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program as a way of inviting the child into a deeper understanding of Holy Communion. Children are invited to participate in this class whether or not they have already participated in communion.
As you are making your decision about participation in the Preparation for Communion course, please consider that there is a commitment to be present for the classes and the retreat in order for the process it to be meaningful to your child. If you have any questions or would like to discuss Preparation for Communion, please contact Deanna Lawson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713.354.2244.
The 5-week course meets on Sundays at 9:00 am from January 7 - February 4. Parents are encouraged to attend a parent class on Sunday, January 7 at 9:00 am in the Scout Room while the children attend their first class. There will be a Saturday retreat at the church on February 10 from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm.
First communion will be celebrated on Sunday, February 11 at the 11:00 am service in the church followed by a reception for family and friends in the parlor.
- January 7 - Parent Class in the Park (Scout room)
- January 7 - Welcome, Parable of the True Vine I: John 15:1-11
- January 14 - Parable of the True Vine II: John 15:1-11
- January 21 - Eucharistic Presence of the True Shepherd
- January 28 - Synthesis of the Eucharist
- February 4 - The History of the Gifts
- February 10 - Saturday Communion Retreat at the church
9:00 am - 12:30 pm: Retreat and Lunch in rooms L17 & L18
1:00 - 2:00 pm: Renewal of Baptismal Vows in the church
- February 11 - First Communion & Family Reception: 11:00 am in the church with reception following in the parlor