The destruction and human toll of Hurricane Harvey will remain with us for a long time to come. As people grasp the scale of the disaster that was Harvey, St. John the Divine is mobilizing to meet the needs of our neighbors.
Respond to Harvey Relief
- Donate Money: Donations to SJD's special Harvey relief fund will be designated for and restricted to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. Every dollar donated will go directly back into the region to help those who were affected by Hurricane Harvey and lead them through recovery. Please share this information to your out-of-town friends! You can donate by:
- Donating to the special Hurricane Harvey Relief fund online
- Texting to 73256 with the message SJD Harvey
- Sending a check to St. John the Divine, 2450 River Oaks Blvd, Houston, TX 77019 and writing 'Hurricane Harvey Relief' in the memo line.
- Donate for Harvey Pets: Friends for Life has posted a list of in-kind donations needed here: FFL Wish List. We are also collecting pet food to benefit AniMeals. Bring your donations to Sumners Hall on Saturday from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm and Sunday from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm.
- Donate school supplies: Donate zipper binders, composition books, pencil cases, and backpacks. Bring your donations to Sumners Hall on Saturday from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm and Sunday from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm.
- Donate Food: Donate canned protein, canned fruit and vegetables, rice, and pop-top meals. Bring your donations to Sumners Hall on Saturday from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm and Sunday from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm.
- Donate Gift Cards: As we transition to the recovery stage of our response, the most useful donation at this time is universal gift cards (VISA etc.) that we can deploy on the spot as needed.
- Donate Guild Shop Vouchers: We will have vouchers for The Gift Shop in $25 and $50 increments for sale after morning services in Sumners Hall. The parishioner gets what they need at a deep discount, and vouchers support the Guild Shop's mission of helping Houston's elderly.
- Donate Household Goods Through the Guild Shop: Bring new small appliances and household items to The Guild Shop and designate them for Harvey relief.
- Donate Professional or School Clothes Through the Guild Shop: Bring professional or school clothes for resale to The Guild Shop and designate them for Harvey relief.
- Donate Furniture Through the Guild Shop: If you have furniture to donate, please take a picture of the item and send it to Harvey@theguildshop.org. Use the subject line: "Harvey donation: [name of item]". One item per email please.
I Want to Help
There are countless ways you can help, from housing those who have been displaced to sorting donations, to delivering supplies, to cooking, to making phone calls, to data entry. We can use you!
- Join Our Work Teams to Reach People: We are mobilizing to reach SJD people that we have been unable to reach so far to check on them and see if there is anything SJD can do to help.
- September 24: Meet in the Administration Building reception area at 1:00 pm on Sunday. You will go out in teams of two with a list of addresses from our SJD database to knock on doors and check in with people.
- Join Our Work Teams to Help People in Their Homes: We are mobilizing to help people with immediate reparation of their homes. We have MANY people who need our help!
- September 23: We'll be sending out teams Saturday starting at 8:30 am. You can work full or half day.
- If you don’t have any tools don’t let that keep you from coming. Child care will be offered at the church. We need skilled or unskilled labor, able bodies and willing hearts. If you can't make it at 8:30 am, come when you can - we'll get you plugged into a team. Can't do the physical work? Provide lunches and snacks for our volunteers!
- Bring if you have, Clorox spray bottles, brooms, carpet knives, boxes, packing tape, wheelbarrows, shovels, crow bars, and/or battery operated circular saws. Wear sturdy, closed toed shoes or boots, waterproof if you have them.
I Need Help
The church is here to help meet your needs! Please let us know how we can help you.